Once again an honor to partake at the Noise Singapore 2015 Festival.
Been working on 2 postcard designs since last December with Noise Singapore for their event publicity. It’s finally done! Grab a copy at these venues listed here.
And 2015 kicks off properly as most people head back to work and school today. But don't get the Monday blues, look out for these awesome new batch of noise postcards by @moon_malek @jedidahtan @ivanistic @akai_chew @wiltedsun @craziefunky @cindbonita @lizlizliziee and @yuystudio to perk up your day! #no15e #noisesg #noisesingapore #noisedesignteam
New batch of Noise postcards coming out soon! Look out for them in a store near you next week (full list on Noise website in bio) – comment and tell us which is your favourite from this batch! Props to Noise artists @jedidahtan @moon_malek @cindbonita @wiltedsun @ivanistic @yuystudio @akai_chew @craziefunky #no15e #noisesingapore #noisesg #noisedesignteam
Since last December, I had the honor to be part of the Noise Design Team to design two postcards for publicizing Noise Singapore 2015. Thank you Noise Singapore for this wonderful opportunity!
The first batch has been released! What a great start off to a creative year ahead! Grab a copy at these venues listed here.
Been selected by Noise Singapore to showcase my work on ad panel at selected bus-stops. Enjoy this Sky Island #002 while waiting for your bus.
Date: 13 Mar-19 Mar 2014
Site No./ Face/ BS No./ Site
– 1225/ D/ TS/ NEW UPPER CHANGI ROAD AT TANAH MERAH MRT, NR SEC SCH, CHEERS/NTUC/FOOD CTRS, PTE EST
– 1521/ D/ B18/ BEDOK NORTH RD, BLK 185
– 4188/ A/ B10/ SEMBAWANG RD OS AVA HORTICULTURE CTR, AFT KHATIB CAMP/DIEPPE BARRACKS, BEF S’WANG AIRBASE/GOLF CLUB
– 4365/ C/ B02/ WOODLANDS AVENUE 7 OPP ADMIRALTY MRT, NR PRI SCH, FOOD/CONV CTRS
– 5256/ C/ B03/ HOLLAND ROAD OS CSC DEMPSEY CLUBHOUSE, NR CONDOS, GOLF COURSE, BOTANIC GDNS, EMBASSIES
Date: 20 Mar- 26 Mar 2014
Site No./ Face/ BS No./ Site
– 4063/ A/ B01/ CANBERRA ROAD OS BLK 311, OPP GOLF/C’TRY CLUB, NR SUN PLAZA/MRT/BUS INTER, PRI SCH
– 5327/ A/ B13/ JURONG TOWN HALL RD OS SCIENCE CTR, NR JURONG CTRL, INFORMATICS CAMPUS, GOLF CLUB
-5440/ A/ B05/ RIVER VALLEY ROAD OS UE SQUARE, NR MODH SULTAN PUBS, NR CLARKE QUAY, FOOD/CONV CTRS
– 5539/ B/ B04/ UPPER BUKIT TIMAH ROAD OS SPRINGDALE, NR PETROLS(3), CONDOS
Date: 27 Mar- 4 Apr 2014
Site No./ Face/ BS No./ Site
-1224/ D/ B13/ NEW UPPER CHANGI ROAD OS TANAH MERAH MRT, PTE EST, SEC SCH, NR CHEERS & NTUC/FOOD CTRS
– 3375/ D/ B06/ STEVEN ROAD BEFORE YMCA
– 3515/ B/ B03A/ YISHUN RING ROAD OS NORTHBROOK SEC SCH, NR SAFRA CLUB, YISHUN PARK
– 5035/ B/ B08/ BOON LAY WAY BEF JURONG EAST ST 11, NR IMM, TOWARDS, JURONG CTRL, BUS/MRT INTER
-7192/ A/ B15/ JALAN BAHAR OS BLK 271A, BETW JURONG POLICE DIV HQ & SCDF JLN BAHAR CAMP
Recently took up a voluntary job as an interpreter for two Chinese artists from Shanghai: Xieda Wang and Chu Yun Liu. They are both represented by James Cohan Gallery (Shanghai Branch) and have come to Scotland to participate in the Steep Trail project—which is part of an exchange programme between Scotland and China and involves Polarcap, Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop and Fife Contemporary Arts & Crafts. My job consists of attending openings and other events together with the artists and interpreting for them.
This is a rare opportunity to meet people working in galleries, curators, artists and prominent people from the Council. So far I’ve been learning about managing exchange projects, socialisation and how an artist should prepares for different events. I’m very fortunate to receive personal tutorials from the artists themselves and having them in our group critique session at Edinburgh College of Art.
These are some of the events I’m taking part of:
- 20 June, Wednesday: Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop, Informal Launch Opening
- 22 June, Friday: Ingleby Gallery, Callum Innes Event and David Austen’s video at Burn Monument
- 28 June, Thursday: Visit to Edinburgh College of Art, meeting Principal, Head of Art and Head of Painting
- Official Opening at Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop
- 30 June, Saturday: Traquair House Opening, Reflective Histories: Contemporary interventions
- 1 July, Sunday: Visit John Muir Birth place, Dunbar and Polarcap Studio
- 10 July, Tuesday: Visit St Andrews Museum, John Samuel Peploe and meet Diana Sykes of Fife Contemporary Art and Craft
The ECA Fair is an event with postgraduate students from Royal College of Art, Saint Lucas Beeldende Kunst, Ghent and Sheffield Institute of Arts. I’m in the Ruth Pelzer’s group, together with Kirsty, Charlie, Russell, Fintan, Page, Sam, Phil, Stephanie and Christine. We are doing the Ghent Directives which we will make work based on the 3 rules predetermined by Ghent Students.
The rules are…
We had a few ideas and decided to use Page’s balloon and helium gas to make a floating piece of work. A 8 feet red helium balloon will carry a black bucket filled with oil. The colours used in this work is based on Belgium flag.
We had a hard time estimating the right amount of oil (use as weight) to let the balloon suspends in the mid air. The fluctuating temperature of the space has posed further difficulty in harmonizing with the helium gas to maintain a fix gravity atmosphere between them. There is also a risk of having the balloon triggering the ceiling fire alarm and a fine will be impose on us. Reluctantly, we have to attach a string to provide it floating too high up.
I’m currently still working on the Forest of Nausicaa project. The focus is on the resilience of nature; trees absorbed the toxic from the pollution in it surrounding environment, instead of dying out, it adapt to the harsh environment and continue to reproduce and survive. Forcing the leaves to form a conical shape, resembling a vessel to depict the process of mutation, a result caused by pollutions. In many mythologies and religions, the vessels represent cup which symbolises new life or rebirth; the vessel-like leaves are the fruits produce by the mutated trees.
The Royal College of Art exchange involves taking part in their seminars, exhibiting our work and a critiques session at the end.